Wingardium Leviosa


Two Sleeps Remaining!




I know I said my next post would be after hospital but I couldn’t wait! I want to thank all my family and friends for the overwhelming support that I’ve received already. This sounds really weird and I can’t explain it, but I’ve felt very uplifted since my debut blog post. I’m not dreading the surgery or recovery any more, and I feel scarily positive. I’m not a spiritual person but it almost feels like everyone’s positive energy and well wishes have had an effect. So thank you again and let’s hope it continues until I’m under the general!


This week I’ve been mega busy! It almost feels like I had a week left to live and I’ve been ‘running’ around trying to do lots of fun things as well as essential bits and bobs. Fun things included: getting my hair done, having a massage, going to the Harry Potter studio tour, and having a few too many and doing the Gangnam dance for the last time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTqpEJh03fI). Essential bits and bobs included: getting my hair done, having a massage, going to the Harry Potter studio tour, having a few too many and doing the Gangnam dance for the last time. Our home has had an overdue spring clean too which was not only cathartic, but it is now ready for a post PAO patient to inhabit. Tomorrow will (hopefully) top the week off as Andy has organised a surprise “Sunday Funday.” I can’t wait to find out what we’re doing and to spend my last day of freedom having fun together. He has told me that we’re taking the wheelchair though which means there is walking involved. Well, he’ll be doing a lot of walking and pushing whilst I’m sitting pretty. Now, I don’t mind using the wheelchair if we’ve driven somewhere and then need it, but tomorrow will be first time we’re taking it on public transport into London and I know it will be a palaver. I know I shouldn’t, but I worry about what people may think – not because I’m in a wheelchair, but because there will be “Lou and Andy” moments (Little Britain sketch) where I get up and walk around for a bit. My hip stiffens up if I sit down all day as it’s incredibly painful so I do need to get up and move around, but this obviously makes me look very fraudulent. Not to mention when Andy wheels me to the train station tomorrow and I will quite easily stand up and take the mammoth step needed to get on the train. You see my dilemma? I’ve already had an elderly woman judge me while I sat in the ‘less able to stand’ section on a bus. - She was also sitting so I didn’t deprive her. I don’t normally care what strangers think, but I do feel the need to explain myself or write “I’m in pain and can’t walk easily” on my forehead. Not taking the wheelchair tomorrow isn’t an option because I tried that yesterday at the Harry Potter studio (walking) tour and sure enough I was limping and in a lot of pain the entire day. Please don’t think I was stupid, I haven’t been in much pain or needed to limp for about three weeks so I thought I’d be fine. But yesterday really highlighted how much I need this surgery. Both hips felt very worn out very quickly so I was taking it in turns to limp on each leg. Albeit a lot of pain, it was a great day and I’m looking forward to watching all the HP films back to back whilst I’m recovering.

Despite feeling very positive and a lot less emotional, when I received the pre-op telephone call from the hospital on Thursday and the lady asked me whether I still wanted to go ahead with the surgery, there was a little voice in my head telling me to say “NO.” Obviously I didn't listen to it. After yesterday's pain and the agony I've felt today, I can't wait to have this surgery and eventually walk pain free again! The call also gave me the opportunity to ask a couple of niggling questions so it was great to put my mind at ease. I'm actually looking forward to my stay at Guy's Hospital this week. Hopefully I'll be placed on a ward overlooking the Thames!
All that’s left to do is pack my hospital bag, enjoy Sunday Funday, and wake up early enough to catch my 5.50 train on Monday morning! Bring it on :)

No comments:

Post a Comment