Week 8 & 9


The last couple of weeks have been a little eventful – hence the lack of blog post. The NHS have gone way down in my estimations, we’ve received a section 21 notice from our estate agents, and it looks likely that I’ll be on statutory sick pay for 6 months. In other news I am no longer taking medication, I can officially look after myself now, and I had a mini holiday up North.

Surely after having major surgery you’d be a physiotherapy priority right? Apparently not. I was discharged 9 weeks ago and after a few tedious conversations with certain NHS folk, it looks likely that I will ‘physio’ myself from here on out. You may recall that I requested to be referred straight to hydrotherapy following hospital and after three sessions, Deborah attempted to refer me for NHS physio. I say attempted as when she contacted Kingston hospital (which I live next to), they claimed to only accept GP referrals. - Very strange considering Deborah knows more about my recovery than any GP. Nevertheless, appointment made, referral requested and was told it could be up to 6-weeks. A few weeks later I missed a call from Tolworth hospital and listened to the voicemail requesting a call back. Instead, I called my surgery to explain the doctor had made a mistake and could they re-refer me to the correct hospital. Unfortunately the receptionist couldn’t comply and insisted I make another GP appointment to arrange this. I did as she wanted and wasted a doctor’s precious time in doing so. The GP seemed to understand and agreed to contact Kingston. A few weeks passed and I received another call from Tolworth, only this time, I regrettably answered it.  I can honestly say the woman at the other end was the most obnoxious, uncouth and condescending person I’ve ever spoken with. Somehow I remained calm and polite throughout so her demeanour was in no way justified. In the midst of her rudeness she explained that Kingston hospital physiotherapy department don’t accept orthopaedic outpatients and that Tolworth hospital (which is 3 miles down the road) is my only option. This lady (who I believe was the head physio) then told me I needed the correct referral from my surgeon as my GP isn’t aware of my progress. I tried to agree with her on the GP front but she seemed to have an inability to listen and presumed I was at fault. I explained that my surgeon isn’t fully aware either and if anyone would know it would be Deborah but that was shot down too. This physio kept referring to ‘my hip replacement’ so I asked if she knew what surgery I’d had and if she had seen any PAO patients herself. I’m not exaggerating when I say she couldn’t pronounce periacetabular osteotomy and confessed Tolworth hospital see maybe one PAO patient a year. I believe at one point her words were: “I don’t mean to sound condescending but as if I’m going to take your word for what you’ve been doing.” If she’s not willing to find out what I’ve been doing from Deborah or myself, and isn’t too familiar with PAO patients, then I would be foolish to put my recovery in her hands. I decided then that there is no way I will even contemplate having physio there and will continue it alone. All the treatment I’ve had post discharge I’ve paid for privately and I’m not made of money so it will soon stop. In earlier blog posts I discussed budgeting money for treatment but that included the anticipation of NHS physio so I see no alternative to flying solo with my recovery. At this moment I feel helpless and rather let down by the NHS as they’ve performed this surgery without ensuring the aftercare is sufficient and attainable. My main concern however is for other PAO patients who have experienced similar NHS downfalls and don’t have any rehabilitation knowledge. Mine is limited, but let’s hope it’s enough to make a fully recovery.

The NHS rollercoaster of fun is nothing compared to our living arrangement upheaval. Our landlord obviously likes a game of “hide and no seek” as our estate agents find it impossible to contact him. Due to an ongoing damp issue within the flat, it has now been deemed ‘unfit to live in’ and so a section 21 equates to our tenancy not being renewed come the end of March. Definitely an inconvenience but on the very small plus side, I should be able to assist in the move as I’ll be off crutches. The big question is do we move elsewhere with only one income, or move into separate family homes to save money until I’m earning again. Andy needs to be near London for work, and I will require daily assistance again after my next op. It’s a tough call. Suggestions on a postcard please.

Then there’s my lack of income; until I’m 100% fit and healthy it is nigh on impossible to fulfil my previously active job role. Unfortunately there appears to be no desk-based work available and so it looks likely that I’ll be off work until June 2013 at the earliest. That is if I’m still sane by then. I have returned to knitting (still only scarves) but feel I need a new hobby to keep my occupied until June.

I knew this double hip surgery would be my toughest experience but I’m not even half way through and life is still throwing a lot of curve balls in my/our direction. We’ll just have to see how much longer I can withstand them and discover if everything really does happen for a reason.
 
In other news:
It could be bone-growing pains or the cold weather, or a combination of the two, but this last week has been more painful than usual. I stopped taking the morphine soon after seeing Banksey and thankfully my sleeping patterns returned to normal. During the day I weaned myself off all medication too and it was fine for the first week. Despite feeling more aches and pains recently, I’ve still refrained from taking medication as I want to truly gauge it on a daily basis. It is hard to know whether new or different pains are normal or not and I guess there’s always a worry that it’s something more serious. The worst part is trying to convey the level of pain you’re in. - Especially when you’re a ‘hypochondriac’ or you’ve been fine for a few weeks. There is such a thing as regression so it’s helpful for those around you to be understanding and patient. Before jumping to conclusions, it's not my 'self-physio-ing' that caused it either as I haven't tried anything different yet. 
I’ve also just returned from a long weekend in Newcastle to see family and the five-hour journey there and back didn’t bother my hip at all. It's just the 'walking' that hurts my hip and I feel it first thing in the morning which I never used to. My aunty taught me a thing or two about knitting which was great, except she really highlighted how efficient and advanced she is, compared to a little novice knitter like myself. On returning from the North East I have been left to my own devices and my dad has returned to Reading. So far so good and the only downside is not having any company throughout the day. 

I couldn’t leave you without a picture update either…
 
The infection has gone now but it left behind a big hole which I noticed before hydro two weeks ago. Luckily the hydro clinic gave me plenty of waterproof dressings to wear daily until it stopped weeping. It looks a lot nicer now as the skin has almost healed completely, so it’ll be back to the Bio-Oil next week in an attempt to reduce all scarring. I’m not holding my breath mind.

1 comment:

  1. You have my utmost sympathy on the NHS Physio front. Thinking along polite terms I would say they're as much use as a chocolate fire guard. In realistic terms I would say they couldn't organise a..... party in a brewery. I'm sure there's individuals within the service who are great, but my experience is they're few & far between.

    I hadn't realised about your flat until after you left the north east - what a nightmare! For what it's worth I would temporarily move back with your respective folks & save in the meantime.

    I know it seems like the odds are stacked against you at the mo, but life v often does kick you when you're down. Paul got made redundant the same month I was told by my employer that I had to stop work because of my disability (I'm unemployable because of it, they weren't being discriminatory). It's almost like bad luck brings more bad luck!

    Cold, damp weather does cause pain flare-ups with joint problems, hopefully it's that you're feeling as opposed to regression. Did they give you any pain charts or diaries at the hospital for you to track your progress? It's the best way of getting across how you're feeling & to spot patterns. If you don't have any let me know & I can send you the link for some to download.

    Glad that the infection has gone & you're healing nicely again. Take it easy & keep up the knitting!
    Hxx

    ReplyDelete