Week 12


What do Barbra Streisand, Donna Summer and Ozzy Osbourne have in common with Johnson’s baby shampoo? “No more tears” I hear you say. And that’s exactly what my stance has been this week.

My hip has been extremely painful and the snail-paced progression is highly frustrating, but, progress is progress, so I shouldn’t complain. In order to complete my daily exercises, I’ve had to consume a medicinal concoction, and even then it was tough. Hands down, the hardest and most painful homework exercise was crutch-less walking. As instructed, I attempted a few steps every day and each time I hoped that that the pain would slowly subside. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case. It didn’t get any easier, and the pain was so intense that despite consciously trying to avoid limping, all my body could manage was a limp. It wasn’t a total fail though, as all this practice enabled me to successfully master one-crutch walking. When I demonstrated this to Debs on Thursday, she was over the moon and agreed that I’m officially down to one crutch whenever I go out. Then, when she asked me to walk to her without crutches, I somehow managed it with not a limp in sight. It was still pretty painful and worsened with every step, but for the first time in three months, I managed an actual walk on land. From the back I bet it looked quite convincing, but as I walked to Debs, my constant wincing was very evident. Even so, she was ecstatic and complemented my progress. I explained that this was actually a first as it had been previously impossible. Sod’s Law, since Thursday I haven’t managed to replicate it, but I’m hoping that’s just because my body’s recovering from all the walking that Debs had me doing. Overall she was very impressed, so has set me a new bunch of homework exercises including mini squats and step-ups. My next challenge is to walk into my next session without crutches, and walk up and down a flight of stairs without limping or hip hitching. I have eleven days before my next physio appointment and at this rate, I think my nine-month old nephew has more chance of accomplishing the milestone. He’s not far off taking his first steps so I’d say we’re near enough neck and neck at present.

Debs is still worried about my hip ‘popping’ and is voicing her concerns to Banksey so he can investigate when I see him on the 7th March. I mentioned that I thought the PAO would correct the ‘popping’ out and Debs was of the same impression and reiterated that she hadn’t seen it with previous patients. She explained that if Banksey believes it is short-term (until the left hip was corrected and my legs were the same length again) then we will have to make the best of a less-than-ideal situation. Debs and I are of the same opinion: that the ‘popping’ is hindering a full rehab. However, she’s confident that we can work around it, and strengthen my hip sufficiently so it's ready for the next surgery in May.

My hip twin didn’t have trouble learning to walk again and thought I should contact Banksey because of my pain level. So I called the hospital but unfortunately he is away until the 7th and there’s no one who can help me in the meantime so that was incredibly helpful. The NHS receives a lot of stick for negligence, and despite the terrible incidences I endured while staying at Guy’s, I’ve been the first to reassure people that the good experiences outweighed the bad. While the inpatient care may get my seal of approval, the aftercare is absolute bullsh*t and I would recommend everyone to go private. *Smiley face*

I’m very motivated and determined to complete my exercises and know that I will continue to progress, but I’m not yet convinced that I’ll be off the sticks when I see Banksey again. He’s expecting to see no crutches so I can just imagine his shock if I’m still reliant on even one of them. -In which case I'm sure he’ll be forced to postpone the next surgery too.


The good news is I have something other than more surgery to look forward to – a holiday! Whether I can walk or not, Andy and I have booked a little trip to see his cousin in Abu Dhabi in three weeks’ time. I’ve told myself that I need a holiday before, but after spending the entire winter confined to the same bricks and mortar, I now know the true feeling of needing a holiday and I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment