3 Weeks Post-Op

Without sounding like I’m showing off, this past week has flown by due to the amount of visitors and outings I’ve had. On Sunday, Kevin and Eli had their other daughter-in-law, Rachel, to stay, so we roped her into our dinner, board game, and House of Cards regime. Monday I enjoyed afternoon tea with Andrew’s mum. Wednesday I was shipped off to bother Derek and Tina for the afternoon. Thursday morning I spent with the lovely Lucy and her handsome baby boy. Friday I ventured over to Andy’s friends’ house to see their gorgeous baby girl. I’d forgotten it was a bank holiday and most people were off work, so I accidentally found myself in the pub with all of Andrew’s school friends. Saturday I went for dinner with my beautiful bridesmaids and my brother from another mother, Bobbie. Then finally, Easter Sunday was fabulous with all of Eli’s family over for some yummy food, Easter egg hunts, football in the park, and charades. And yes, yes I did play football on my crutches and I even scored a penalty; a good one at that. We took the wheelchair to the park just in case, but it turned out everyone had a go in it except me.
FullSizeRender (5)FullSizeRender (6)
This week marked the half-way point between the op and the six week check-up. At six weeks I’ll have another X-ray to determine the success of the op (i.e. has my bone grown enough and is my pelvis reconnected). If Banksey is satisfied, then I have to work towards walking unaided again. I’m anticipating an initial need to remain on one crutch, until I have the ability to walk without limping. With all this in mind, and being self-appointed chief physio, I figured that if at six weeks I can fully weight-bear, then at three weeks I could attempt 50% weight-bearing. As the hydrotherapy pool is waist high and therefore the equivalent of 50% WB, I thought I’d give it a go this week and monitor the pain.
During Monday afternoon’s session, I did my usual exercises and stretches, and for my grand finale I attempted to walk along the length of the pool with my right arm holding the edge. I took my first step and there was no pain. Then a second step:  still no pain.
FullSizeRender (2)
I'm walking in waterrrr, woaahhh
After four short steps on each leg I’d reached the end of the pool, and I’d done so without any severe pain in the joint. What a success! I was focusing on walking properly with good posture and fully extending my hip, and those four steps felt great.
I turned around and held the edge with my left hand and attempted to walk… I couldn’t. It was a little painful and my leg buckled under the weight. I could not walk without my right arm supporting me. It’s the same as when I eventually go down to one crutch. I will need to hold it in my right hand so I don’t over exert my left hip. It’s just a weird feeling when I can walk around the inside of the pool when I hold the railing with my right hand, yet I can’t take a single step when I hold it with my left. I’m not complaining; it’s just the oddest feeling. I’m incredibly happy with my hydro progress this week though and I’ll be patient and keep practicing my water walking during every remaining session.
With success in the hydro department, I’ve also had success with the medication, or lack of. I think the last time I took some morphine was Sunday morning so you know what that means? I’ve enjoyed a couple of glasses of vino this week :). Morphine and alcohol is a no go, so at least I could join in with the Easter festivities.
This week I also upped the resistance on the stationary bike and although I could feel the difference in my hip (like it was working harder), it wasn’t painful so that’s more progress.
My scar looks incredible. Having looked back through the blog after my right PAO surgery, it appears my wound was neat and thin until the week 4 mark and then I got the infection which ballooned the scar. For this reason, I'm going to wear the waterproof dressings for as long as possible and hopefully history won't repeat itself.
IMG_8458
I’m still waiting to hear from the hospital as to when my check-up is, but I’m anticipating the last Friday in April so I’ll continue with my daily rehab and progressing it weekly whilst working towards that date.
FullSizeRender (4)
After craving coffee cake for two weeks, Eli whipped this beauty up

No comments:

Post a Comment