Santa Came Early - 30.11.12


Friday Saturday Sunday




Friday was discharge day for Natalia and I if we could manage three things; successfully ascend and descend stairs, inject ourselves with our anti-DVT medication, and finally go to the toilet (did you know that morphine and other strong medication makes you very constipated?). We looked at each other and laughed because on Tuesday we were in agreement that there was very little chance we would be going home Friday. The progression we made from Tuesday to Wednesday, and then Wednesday to Thursday was unbelievable so there was every chance we would be discharged. Natalia and I conquered the stairs with ease so it was onto the next challenge. If we couldn’t manage it ourselves, we were told that our partners could give it a go. Natalia couldn’t inject herself but knew her husband would be capable. Andy hates needles too so I knew he couldn’t help me and that I needed to overcome one of my fears. The nurse talked me through what to do and after a 5 minute self –pep talk I actually did it. It hurt more than when the nurses did it, and I gave myself a bruise but at least I managed it. I’m sure by the 24th time I’ll be a pro. Then we still had the number two issue… We’d been on two different laxatives since Tuesday which resulted in no end product so you can imagine we were pretty bunged up by Friday. We had to wait for the doctors to prescribe a suppository which would help us go, so until that time came, we needed to wash, eat, have our dressing changed and wait to be discharged. Friday was the first day I managed a real shower, got to finally wash my hair, and dressed (including socks – once I learnt the knack) myself unaided. I was glad to be semi-independent because one of my concerns was relying on someone else to do everything for me. My dressing was changed and it was great to see my wound looking so good! The nurses thought I was crazy taking pictures of it, but I wanted to share it with you guys...

I can't believe this is only after 5 days! It looks like the scar will be tiny.
Fast forward to discharge time which took 3 hours for the pharmacists to finish preparing our goodie bag of meds. When the nurse eventually walked in, it was like Santa had come early with our stockings. She emptied the contents on the bed and I couldn’t believe how much medication there was – some lasting until Christmas Eve!
 
Meds: two types of morphine pills, anti-DVT syringes,
paracetamol, ibuprofen, two types of laxatives,& anti-sickness
Natalia and I had an emotional embrace as it was unfortunately time to say goodbye. I’d actually had an enjoyable stay in hospital – mainly because of Natalia, and I'd miss our night time and morning chats. I knew it wouldn’t be the last time we spoke, but it wouldn’t be the same as seeing her across the room from me and having a good old girly chin wag, or doing our exercises together. Hopefully we’ll see each other again when we’ve both fully recovered. Natalia lives in Gibraltar with her husband and two children so it won’t be the easiest to meet, but I’m sure one day we will! ;)

Getting discharged from Guy’s Hospital in London at 4.15pm on a Friday was not the most convenient, so it took almost three hours to make it home to my Dad’s in Reading, Berkshire. The ordeal of this long car journey and not having any meds for six hours caused me to feel very sick and tired Friday evening so unfortunately I couldn’t manage much dinner. I felt very weak and struggled to cope using the toilets at home as they didn’t have the disabled rails that I’d become accustomed to at the hospital. I struggled up the stairs to bed and was glad to get some shut eye.
Due to the lapse in medication and lack of fuel the night before, when I woke early on Saturday for the toilet, I was violently sick after ‘walking’ to the bathroom. Every time I attempted to move using my crutches, I got the hot and cold sweats again and needed a bucket fast. Once sitting or lying for 5 minutes I would begin to feel ok. But every time I stood, I would feel this weakness in my arms and upper body (which is usually pretty strong), quickly followed by the urge to throw up. I knew there was no point in having the meds until I was comfortable on the sofa downstairs and had finished being sick, so I had to make it down the stairs as quick as I could and get a bucket ready. That’s exactly what happened. Literally as soon as I reached the sofa, Andy passed me the bucket and rubbed my back for the next 5 minutes. Then I had breakfast and a cup of tea and decided not to move until lunch time to give my body the chance to re-fuel. Sure enough, I was fine from then on. Natalia and I were exchanging stories from the last 15 hours via WhatsApp which was great. - Except that she’d been having a good morning and I’d been struggling.
After the initial events of Saturday, the day was generally ok and I was really looking forward to my nephew’s Christening on Sunday. It was really important that I ate at regular intervals to counterbalance the side effects of all the medication. In hospital it’s all regulated and I didn’t realise until Saturday that this needed to continue because if you’re organised with your food intake and timings of medication, then you can manage your pain and sickness levels.
Sunday was a huge success and thankfully my Dad had organised a wheelchair for me (we still hadn’t managed to repair the flat from the previous wheelchair). My nephew Jacob is a very well behaved little cutie and he had an amazing special day. It was pretty cold outside but I wrapped up warm and the pain was bearable throughout the day. It was good to get out of the house and great to see family members. Getting in and out of the car is ok, as long as I sit behind the driver’s seat because I need to get my bad leg out first when exiting the car. The day was topped off nicely with a visit from my Uni friend Kelly and my longest neighbour Michele. Another Sunday Funday I would say J
My gorgeous nephew Jacob and boyfriend Andy

 

No comments:

Post a Comment