Hip Twin - 27.11.12



Tuesday turned out to be a very long and slow, bad day. I woke up feeling tired but generally ok and introduced myself to fellow patients. There were six of us in total but had a special connection with a lovely lady opposite me called Natalia. – She’d also had a PAO performed by Banksey and immediately after me on Monday. We exchanged stories and it was amazing to have a ‘hip twin’ who’d gone through almost identical previous experiences and that we were embarking on this new experience together. The main differences being the hip we’d had operated on (my right, her left), and that Natalia wasn’t having her other hip reconstructed.

I felt ravenous (hadn’t eaten properly since Sunday night) and ordered lots of breakfast, but could only manage a few mouthfuls and felt full and unwell again. Natalia started her first physio session so I was eagerly awaiting mine, but was worried that I wasn’t feeling up to it. Head physio Caroline and her student Kate entered my cubicle and I felt well enough to do the bed exercises. They were impressed with my strength and that I had done some prehab exercises (mainly glutes, quads, abs, hamstrings and hip flexors). The exercises they gave me were tough and painful but I managed them all with their assistance. I felt very confident after this and was looking forward to the next session after lunch. Once again though, lunch arrived and couldn’t manage even a quarter of it. I was feeling very sick, dizzy and drowsy and was beginning to regret having surgery. From this point on it went downhill very quickly!

The nurse that was assigned to me for the day was very inexperienced (her first week) and didn’t seem to understand what surgery I’d had. She didn’t grasp that I couldn’t wash myself unaided and when I asked for a bed pan, not only did she expect me to roll on to side by myself, but she attempted to roll me onto my right side. Now I knew from my earlier PAO research that you can’t lay on your operated side until at least week 6, and the physios and docs had also warned me. I had to say “woah what are you doing? I have screws in that hip so I shouldn’t be moved onto it!”
If you think that’s bad, it got worse still…
At about 1.45pm I started to feel some sharp pains in my wound but didn’t think anything of it. I knew the spinal and general anaesthetics would be wearing off so thought it was part of the process. My Dad visited as soon as he was allowed (2pm) and I explained to him that I wasn’t feeling great; the morphine was making me ill and I could feel the wound for the first time. My local anaesthetic machine (that went into my wound) started bleeping intermittently but neither of us thought anything of it as all the machines have a tendency to bleep at times. The inexperienced nurse walked in to take my blood pressure, temperature and heart rate and I stated that I didn’t feel well. The next thing I know, my vision went blurry, my hearing was distorted, my body was feeling very hot and cold but I was sweating profusely, I was retching into sick bowl, and asking my Dad and the nurse to make it stop. I was very worried, my Dad was very worried, and the nurse just walked out. My Dad told me this lasted for 15 minutes and I recall saying “kill me now!” – I’ve never felt so much pain and just wanted it to stop. It was incredibly scary and I know this sounds dramatic but we both thought my time had come. I’m so glad my Dad was there and he was holding onto me telling me it would be alright. I now know that this was my body going into shock as the local anaesthetic machine was battery powered and the bleeping was indicating the battery had died. It took the staff 40 minutes to find a lead and get the local anaesthetic working again so you can imagine how annoyed, ill and upset I was.
The physios showed up and their goal was to get me out of bed and stand on my left leg with the help of my zimmer frame. My first instruction was to sit up which was extremely painful in my hip. Then, using my upper body strength, I needed to shift my bum to the side of the bed. – Once again, extremely painful. Then as the physio lifted my right leg off the bed and carefully bent my knee to lower my feet to the ground, I swivelled my hips around 90⁰ and moved my left leg to join my right. With both feet touching the ground, I felt very dizzy and started getting the hot and cold sweats again. I knew I was about to faint so both physios helped me back to a lying position with both legs back on the bed. After feeling nauseous for 5 minutes and wondering what had happened, the physios explained that it was a common response, especially as I hadn’t eaten for two days. After an unsuccessful second attempt, I admitted defeat and took the physios advice; endeavour to sit upright in bed to decrease the chances of dizziness, and eat something for dinner and breakfast to regain my strength for Wednesday.
My friends Steph, Jo and Jenny visited me on Tuesday and they arrived bearing cards, gifts and food which cheered me up considering the day I’d had. Andy also came straight from work and I was very grateful to all of them for their company, but they definitely saw me at my worst. I was praying the day would end with a better night’s sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment